Tessella has an unsurpassed pedigree in providing IT support to the nuclear industry and fusion research.
Tessella has over 28 years experience working in the nuclear industry from our origins at UKAEA Harwell (still a client today) to our current work on fusion research at ITER.
We are focussing our efforts on the main challenges for the industry today:
- Decommissioning the existing nuclear legacy
- Preserving knowledge and expertise for the future
- Extending the safe operating life of existing generating capacity
- Researching new technologies for future power generation
Decommissioning the nuclear legacy is a global challenge. Over 400 reactors and nuclear installations worldwide are scheduled for decommissioning over the next few decades. Within the UK there are a number of facilities over 50 years old, which were not designed with easy decommissioning in mind. Tessella is committed to supporting the international nuclear community as it faces the decommissioning challenge over the coming decades.
Our capabilities include:
- Decision Support Systems
- Hazard Assessment and Risk Mitigation – 2D and 3D safety models
- Environmental Protection modelling, geosphere profiling, groundwater modelling
- Data warehousing and data mining
- Long-term digital preservation for documents and data files
Tessella’s skills can help existing nuclear generators to extend their safe operating life and to obtain maximum benefits through:
- Asset Management, asset monitoring and modelling to maximize up-time and optimize maintenance scheduling
- Data analysis and safety modelling to support safety cases
- Development of hedging models for Energy Traders
For the last 20 years Tessella’s team of science-literate IT consultants has been at the heart of many of the key systems for fusion research at JET including:
- Supporting and enhancing major computing platforms from mainframes to Linux clusters
- Supporting generations of architectures that manage the processed JET pulse data
- Optimizing the between-pulse processing workflow on the Linux cluster
- Producing data visualization and statistical analysis systems using various mathematical packages
- Producing advanced user interfaces to allow worldwide access to JET data, systems and models
- Developing highly complex plasma behaviour models
- Developing and supporting PC-based data acquisition systems
Tessella is also proud to be one of the first IT companies to win contracts at the new ITER fusion research project in the South of France.